For a lot of people, the New Year marks the beginning of some new resolutions for a better and healthier year, from fitness to nutrition, to trying new activities and even a new career direction … but don’t overlook your oral hygiene habits! Taking proper care of your teeth this year means they’ll still be there to ring in the New Year next year. Here are some habits to keep, or start doing, to help you maintain strong teeth and healthy gums:
- Schedule regular visits to your dentist, about every 6 months for routine teeth cleaning
- Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Check your mouth regularly to become familiar with what is normal for you. This will help you recognize when something in your mouth looks or feels different or abnormal.
- Avoid activities that might harm your mouth or teeth such as smoking, oral piercings and recreational drugs.
- Try to reduce the impact stress has on your oral and overall health.
- Alert your dentist to any herbal remedies, over-the-counter or prescription drugs you are taking.
- Wear a mouthguard to protect your teeth when you are playing sports.
Looking forward to seeing you in the New Year, and we’ll do our best to have you walking out with a smile. Happy 2020!