Dental hygiene is the science concerned with the preservation of oral health. The dental hygienists are a part of the hygiene services team which – provides expertise in the prevention, recognition, treatment, and management of all oral diseases. The dentists can perform the various dental hygiene assessments and procedures and they are the responsibility of dental hygienists who are licensed oral health professionals. They are trained to clean patient’s teeth professionally which is commonly referred to as polishing and scaling.
Dental hygienists play a vital role in the services team and their main task is to show the patients the best way to keep their teeth free of plaque. They can also give advice on the diet and prevent dental issues. 9 out of 10 people suffer from gum disease at some point in their life which makes it the most common non-infectious disease in the world. The main cause of adult teeth loss is gum disease.
Most of the dental clinics offer the following services for the patients.
- Pain control
- Tooth whitening
- Gingivitis treatment
- Tooth brushing
- Oral health and cavity prevention education
- Fluoride and sealants
- Tobacco and nutritional assessments
- Implant and Orthodontic care
- Periodontal disease therapy
- Conceal unsightly teeth
- Administration of anesthetic
- Applying fissure seal on children’s teeth
- AIR FLOW professional cleaning system in order to remove stains caused by tobacco, tea, and coffee.
- Advice on giving up smoking
- Deposit removal
- Bad breath treatments
- Sports guards/mouth protectors
- Nutrition counseling
- Oral cancer screening
- Desensitizing treatments
There are two simple steps for healthy teeth and good oral hygiene; regular visits to your dental clinic and good home care. Poor oral hygiene can lead to a number of issues and some of them can get very complicated if left untreated.
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Receding gums
- Swollen and inflamed gums
Dental hygienists are very enthusiastic about educating the patients with on some of the most effective ways to keep their gums and teeth healthy and long lasting. For the patients with sensitive areas, the hygienists are glad to help by discussing the problems and find the right solution for the patient. They also ensure that the patients are comfortable throughout their appointment.
In the case of children, if you find it very difficult to make your children brush their teeth or just want to give them the right education about dental health, the dental hygienic services team in most of the dental clinics are offering various sessions. The session includes:
- Healthy teeth and gums package kit for encouraging the children to brush daily at home.
- Polishing the teeth of your child
- Advice and education on maintaining good oral hygiene
- Demonstration – with the use of intra-oral camera and disclosing tablets.
So the dental clinics not only offer a wide range of hygienic services but also offers dental care products which can help prevent oral and dental problems, from toothbrushes to mouthwash and dental floss.